Tuesday, November 25, 2014

VOR - Vertical Omnidirectional Range

Ever since I was part of the Civil Air Patrol years ago, I have been interested in VOR's. Some of them look like sombrero hats. Pilots use them to navigate, and i've always wanted to see one up close.

After much searching, I wasn't able to find any photos of what they look like inside. I am contemplating contacting some of the local airports to see if they can tell me more, or if they have photos of the interiors. I have heard that due to what they contain, I cannot actually go inside of one. But with all of the things on the internet, including photos of the insides of water towers, why not VOR's?



Conventional VOR


DVOR (Doppler) VOR

I'll post any that I can take a photo of. I have not been able to get close enough to take a good image of one yet.

If you have any photos you'd like to share, especially what the insides look like, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment